London Bel Canto Festival
General Information: The London Bel Canto Festival was founded in 2016 as arts organization in support of the art of bel canto in all its facets. Here in London we have hosted master classes by amazing internationally renowned performers including Bruce Ford, Aprile Millo, Nelly Miricioiu, Ken Querns Langley with whom our young artists work personally.
This year we are proud to present our third festival academy which will take place in August 2019 and is the opportunity for singers and collaborative pianists to spend two or three weeks with world-renowned artists learning the fundamentals of the art of Bel Canto. In the amazing and vibrant surrounds of central London world-class instructors will offer daily private lessons or coaching, performance-focused language repertoire coaching, performance workshops, and so much more. There will be public and private master classes with Bruce Ford, Nelly Miricioiu, Ken Querns Langley and others. You will have the opportunity to perform in experience appropriate performances as well as take part in the concert version of Bellini's 'Beatrice di Tenda'! This could be the programme to take your performance skills to the next level.
Singers: Emerging professional singers, young artists, and conservatoire or college-level singers are all welcome to apply. There will be two options for the academy in 2019. For those chosen to sing in the opera, the course will be three weeks, but those chosen for the academy alone will have a 2 week course.
Opera Course: 5-24 August 2019 - 3 week opera performance programme Beatrice di Tenda (Bellini)
Vocal Course: 12-24 August 2019 - 2 weeks vocal course with concert performances and opera chorus.
Pianists: Pianists are accepted onto the course as part of both the festival and the academy.See the Collaborative Piano Programme here.
Location: Royal Academy of Music, Marylebone London
What to Expect:
- Singing Lessons: All students will receive daily singing lessons or coaching by the major teachers Bruce Ford, Ken Querns-Langley and other vocal faculty members. You will be able to sit in on lessons and coaching of other singers with their permission.
- Master Classes: Several public and private master classes will be given by the most celebrated international faculty. Master classes often with both public and private options.
- Repertoire Coaching & Role Prep: Coaching is given equal weight as singing lessons and students receive coaching in their prepared rep and languages. Our coaches have worked in the greatest houses and festivals and with many great artists.
- Seminars: Classes on history, breathing, and vocal hygiene to help round out your understanding of opera.
- Performances: Multiple performances are given throughout the courses including the major opera gala concert, three aria concerts at the private National Liberal Club, as well as other venues around London.
- Practice Rooms: We always makes sure that practice rooms are available during the day.
- Pianist Collaborator: Providing there are sufficient pianists, you will be paired with a pianist with whom you can prepare your performances. It will be up to the two both of you, and the faculty, to decide if you would like to perform together or not.
- Wellness: We will also be providing different classes throughout the course on yoga for singers, Alexander technique, mindfulness and breathing.
- Events: Because life isn't only about singing, this year we will have other events like a cooking class & dinner hosted by chefs from a Michelin Star restaurant, an evening cruise along the river Thames, London tours and other opportunities.
- Weekends: Saturdays will typically have a rehearsal and master class, but Sundays are free.
A Typical Day:
- 10:00 - 11:00 Complimentary class: yoga, Alexander tech., breathing, mindfulness.
- 11:00 - 13:00 Singing Lessons, Voice Coaching, Language or Study
- 13:00 - 14:00 Lunch / Study / Tour
- 14:00 - 16:00 Master Class
- 16:00 - 18:00 Singing Lessons, Voice Coaching, Language or Study
- 18:00 - 19:30 Dinner
- 1930: - 21:00 Rehearsal
- 3 Week Tuition: £2,500 plus housing
- 2 Week Tuition: £2,000 plus housing
- Pianists: There is no fee for pianist participation.
- Auditors will be accepted for the 12-23 August 2019 only, see below.
- If you decide to pay your tuition in full upfront on acceptance, there is a 10% discount available.
- A very limited number of partial scholarships will be available for certain voices who take part in the opera.
Housing: If you would like to book housing in the same location as the others follow this link to Nido West Hampstead and choose 'register for summer'. You will need to register and then choose the room you want. When registering choose 'Internship' when asked for which school you are attending and use the same for course title. The least expensive rooms are the Silver Ensuite @ £41 per night. https://nido.starrezhousing.com/StarRezPortalX/12CB6B3C/1/1/Home-Home There are also other student halls with similar rates but this is the most suitable. If you have difficulty with the site or anything please contact them directly. They have chat functions, email and phone.
Auditing Only: While not technically participating, auditors will be allowed to sit in on lessons, classes, master classes, attend all events and will be eligible for the housing option, but will not be eligible for scholarships.
Fees for auditing only:
- Two Weeks: £500
- One Week: £300